Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Poker Concepts Introduction

The purpose of this blog is to discuss poker (specifically Texas Hold 'Em) thereby improving various levels of skilled players' knowledge, strategy, and understanding of the game. Although I do not claim to be an expert poker player, I have several years of experience and knowledge I would like to share and discuss.

I first started playing poker 15 years ago. Not the poker you see on television or at the WSOP (World Series of Poker), but variation games such as Baseball, Black MoJo, Follow The Queen, Seven Card No Peak, Five Card Wild Draw, Dr. Pepper, etc. I was (am) always a strategist, trying to find the angle in games like Chess and Stratego. Determining opponents' weaknesses and trying to get any edge was the approach I had to all strategy games.

In my early 20's, while friends were at the blackjack and craps tables or slot machines losing lots of money, I could usually at least last through the night without a big loss in the Poker Room (sometimes even 24 hour sessions). Often times, I would be the only one walking away with money having to pay for everyone's meals because of their misfortunes.

Bottom line is Poker is the only game in the house that can be beat. You are not playing against the odds of the house, so with the tools of skill, psychology, and a little bit of luck, you might just be able to come out ahead.

I must stress, I am not a professional. I have tried to grind out dollar after dollar on limit and no limit tables. That isn't where my talent lies. I have found over the years that I am best as a tournament player. I might not be able to make a living, but I am successful enough to make some extra spending money playing tournaments both online and in the b & m (brick and mortar, which means buildings or live poker tournaments). I have yet to have a year where I have lost (been in the negative).

At this point, I think that I can improve other player's play with my knowledge, and conversely hope to learn from others in the process. This blog will have key points in Gold in order to easily identify the concepts. Consider these to be GOLDEN RULES of Poker, as the person who follow them will get the gold (or the chips in most instances). I invite you to improve your play and follow my blog as I share my passion for poker and what I have learned (both successes and failures) over the years about the game. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment